Wednesday, January 18, 2012

2012...A "Daily" Evolution!

It's hard to believe I only just began using Copic markers 5 or so months ago! Feels like it's been YEARS! As an artist, I have been so liberated by this medium! And as said artist, I feel 100% liberated as a person as well! I owe this, too, to open-mindedness, as I recently shifted in artistic style and objective, and it has opened the creative flood-gates! This new exploration is so freeing!


"Vivienne"
Copic markers on bristol, 3.5 X 5.5"


"Peter"
Copic markers on bristol, 3.5 X 5.5"


"Kim"
Copic markers on bristol, 3.5 X 5.5"

I have easily kept up with my commitment of doing these 'dailies' -- it is sooo much fun! -- and over the past week that has evolved into something even more!...

I have been giving these characters names since the get-go last month (these all began in Dec 2011). It's a sort of game I used to play with my older brother when we were growing up. He'd draw a face and ask me, "Who does this look like? Who is this person?" and I'd promptly give each one a name! Or he would ask me to give him a name to start, and he'd draw what he thought that person would look like. We'd be entertained for hours, which was a challenge growing up in the middle of no where! ;) Anyhow, I've now evolved these characters into having personalities and back stories! Here are the handful from this week -- the lucky few who got a 'sketchy' past *wink* attached to them!


This one looks like my dad, therefore I named him "Paul"!

This guy is kinda one part Bobby De Niro (minus the cool), one part Carl Fredricksen, one part Ebenezer Scrooge. That's a chequebook in his chest pocket -- the nearest and dearest thing to his heart -- and he thinks people only ever want him for his money! Can't say he'd be wrong about that...it's not exactly like he's sought after for his winning personality! ;)

Copic markers on bristol, 3.5 X 5.5"


"Kendra"
 Copic markers on bristol, 3.5 X 5.5"

Kendra's a real hard-ass. She came from money. Her daddy was something of an authority and it paved her way a lot in life. Her family is always about appearances -- a picture of perfection at all times. But she's had her hardships, too, although she doesn't open up about them. Too bad. Maybe if she did, people wouldn't think she was such a cold, callous bitch.


This is "Sergei".

He is a veteran member of the Imperial Russian Ballet Company. He encountered major delays during his commute to rehearsal due to a sudden torrential down pour. He arrived late to the theatre, only to see the Director looking on with great approval at the replacement who is standing in for him as lead dancer...much to Sergei's shock and disapproval, of course!...

 Copic markers on bristol, 3.5 X 5.5"


This is "Vicki".

She's made some mistakes in life, like running away from home as a teen, keeping over $300 cash from a wallet she found, and lying to the police about a then-boyfriend's whereabouts. She even slept with a married man once. BUT, she turned her life around, made ammends, and is now living an honest and authentic life following her passion for interior design!

Copic markers and colored pencil on bristol, 3.5 X 5.5"

I'm a little OCD in ways (Not really. But I am particular, and a perfectionist.) so I may have to go back over all the previous characters and give each one a sordid little history!

..."SKETCHY PAST"...That'll be the title of the 366 pg book I publish at this time next year! Mark my words! ;)

xoxo
Laurie B!

No comments: