Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Inspirations

Happy New Year! 2012 is going to be a BIG year for me, and I hope it will be for many of you, too!

I have committed to blogging every Wednesday. I have also created a facebook fanpage which I upload a new sketch to every single day! www.facebook.com/ArtofLaurieB "LIKE" it to be privy to these daily uploads AND MORE...if nothing else than just to brighten your day! I will eventually start selling these 'dailies' online as some people have already been asking how they can go about owning them. That will be sorted out in the coming weeks and I'll announce that here, there, and everywhere once I figure out a system for doing that, too!

Here are a few of these recent dailies!


"Dawn"
Copic markers and colored pencil on bristol
3.5 X 5.5"


"Faith"
Copic markers on bristol
3.5 X 5.5"


"Joy"
Copic markers and colored pencil on bristol
3.5 X 5.5"

This style is a break from my usual routine, and the reason is simple. I constantly seek to evolve and improve as an artist. I feel that the more versatile I am, the more 'employable' I am as well. Ironically I've not yet worked in the mainstream industry, but I will be sending out my portfolio this month!

Today I want to bring attention to the someone whose art has inspired my recent change/exploration in style. I stumbled upon her at the CTN Animation Expo this past November. Her name is Zaruhi Galstian. I was instantly attracted to her style and when I struck up conversation with her she told me she had just newly been hired at PIXAR! (Is there any wonder why I fell in love with her art from across the room!?! Haha!) "Congrats, Zar! I hope we cross paths again...very soon! xoxo"


Here is a link to her interview with "Character Design Blogspot" which showcases a lot of her work once you scroll down to the bottom: http://zaruhi-galstian-interview.blogspot.com/

I bought her sketchbook and immediately began "reading" it back in my hotel room at night. Her style has had an instant impression on my work as of late and I can't say how exhilarating it has been to break loose of old drawing habits!

And here are the first handful of sketches I did as I was learning, unlearning, and interpreting her style.

Coloring aside (which is all done with Copic markers, btw), I see that I've had to 'stand back' a lot more from my usual approach, to be looser and more vague by just playing with basic shapes. Sometimes scribbles. Anatomy be damned!! This is also what makes a great caricature artist, and in turn, a great character designer, which I hope to be...WORKING IN FEATURE ANIMATION sometime in 2012!

Again, my sincerest wishes for a ridiculously amazing new year to all!

xoxo
~LB!

No comments: